Pages

Be strategic



I've realised I haven't been sharing so much on the blog and think that should change- if anything to give me a record of how things are developing but also to show that I am very much still here ploughing away at my business. If you follow my Instagram account you may see more regular updates as I find snapping a picture is a lot quicker than writing a blog post but that being said it's good for me as a creative to actually write stuff down and remind myself of where I'm going and what I'm doing. 

This last week I've been writing strategy stuff for my business and rather than let things overwhelm me with the help of my husband have written some action points that are motivating me to get things moving forward. I guess when you get so immersed in just making stuff and keeping up with creating things for people you can forget about planting seeds for new things and doing things for yourself.

It's been good for me to take stock and work out where I would like my business to go rather than just let things go with the flow. It's funny to say that as I sometimes think it's harder to embrace that business mentality when 'going with the flow' seems to be what we should be doing! But what I'm realising more and more is that it doesn't matter how talented you are without a plan or strategy you won't actually get to a position where you can have that freedom to create and make things you're really passionate and excited about. 

I'm finding that I do have to be more intentional in my actions- for example if I want my products to be picked up by new stockists I actually have to make contact with new stockists, or if I want to be commissioned to create hand lettered illustrations then I have to have examples of hand-lettering in my portfolio- simple, right? And yet how often do we get lulled into thinking that those people will just naturally find us and that our hidden work will somehow grab people's attention and there'll be so many clients knocking at our door we will have to turn them away! It's CRAZY talk but actually this is what my behaviour says when I'm not intentional at reaching out and finding ways to show my work. 

So that is why I've been writing plans and want to share again on this blog.

I've been listening to Andy J Miller's creative pep talks which are all about finding ways to be more strategic in your creative business.  I would encourage you to listen if you too are struggling to find a way through.  



Share |